Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
4202 E. Fowler Avenue ENB 118
University of South Florida
Tampa, FL 33620-5350
Phone: (813) 974-6448; Fax: (813) 974-2957
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University
- B.S. Environmental Engineering, North-West Institute of Architecture Engineering
Green engineering, sustainability, life cycle assessment, water-energy nexus, coupled nature-human system modeling, environmental fate and transport modeling, water supply and treatment, engineering education.
Qiong Zhang is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of South Florida (USF). She worked for the Sustainable Futures Institute at Michigan Tech as the operation manager before she joined USF. She has sponsored research projects in the areas of green engineering and sustainability, life cycle assessment, water supply and treatment, waste-based resource recovery, integrated resource management, system modeling of environmental technology adoption and critical infrastructures resiliency, and carbon footprint accounting of various water and wastewater technologies and strategies. Her research has been supported by the Water Reuse Foundation, Florida Energy Systems Consortium, National Science Foundationís MUSES, CCLI, S-STEM, PIRE, and CRISP programs, and the Environmental Protection Agency Science to Achieve Results (STAR) program. She has also received a CAREER award from the National Science Foundationís Environmental Sustainability Program for her project "Envisioning Integrated Wastewater Management through the Lens of Reverse Logistics.Ē She has contributed to development of two widely adopted engineering textbooks, Water Treatment: Principles and Design (John Wiley, 2005) and Environmental Engineering: Fundamentals, Sustainability, and Design (John Wiley, 2014). Dr. Zhang is the recipient of a Best Paper Award from the Environmental Engineering Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), a Best Paper Award from the Florida Section of the American Water Works Association, a New Faculty Research Award from the Southeast Division of the American Society for Engineering Education, and a USF Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Cornejo, P. K., Q. Zhang, .J. R. Mihelcic, How Does Scale of Implementation Impact the Environmental Sustainability of Wastewater Treatment Integrated with Resource Recovery? Environmental Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.5b05055, 2016.
- Gottschamer, L., Q. Zhang, Interactions of Factors Impacting Implementation and Sustainability of Renewable Energy Sourced Electricity, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 65: 164-174, 2016.
- Zhang, J., A. E. Tejada-Martinez, H. Lei, Q. Zhang, Indicators for Technological, Environmental and Economic Sustainability of Ozone Contactors, Water Research, 101: 606-616, 2016.
- Lee, E., M. Jalalizadeh, Q. Zhang, Growth Kinetic Models for Microalgae Cultivation: A Review, Algal Research, 12: 497–512, 2015.
- Santana, M.V.E., Q. Zhang, J. R. Mihelcic, Influence of Water Quality on the Embodied Energy of Drinking Water Treatment, Environmental Science and Technology, 48(5): 3084-3091, 2014.
- Mo, W., Q. Zhang, Energy-nutrients-water Nexus: Integrated Resource Recovery in Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plants, Journal of Environmental Management, 127: 255-267, 2013.
- Mo, W., Q. Zhang, Can Municipal Wastewater Treatment Systems Be Carbon Neutral? Journal of Environmental Management, 112: 360-367, 2012.
- Zhang, Q., J.C. Crittenden, D.R. Shonnard, J.R. Mihelcic, Development of an Environmental Multimedia Fate Model for the Great Lakes Region, Chemosphere, 50, 1377-1397, 2003.